My wardrobe once again seems to be very full and its making me anxious. There is so much in there that I don’t use and I really need to just let it go and move on. I don’t know how it’s piled up because I don’t feel like I’ve purchased much recently.
What I have noticed though is that there are still key pieces that I am missing that I either never owned to begin with or I got rid of because they no longer fit me.
These are some of the pieces that I would like to add to my wardrobe.
- Black wool work pants – these need to not have pockets on the side because that is really unflattering on me. I would also like them to be straight leg so I can wear them with boots or heels alike.
- Black, long-sleeved wool dress – I’d like this to be basic enough that I can wear casually or for work. I don’t mind what sort of neck line it has but I don’t want something that is cut at the waist.
- Black short sleeve dress – I would like this one to be a bit more dressy that I could wear to weddings and events but still be able to dress down easily enough. Ideally it’d stop a couple inches above my knee and have either a scoop neck or v-neck.
- Black shorts – these would need to be mid length so my butt-cheeks don’t hang out and long enough that I don’t get thigh chaffing.
- Black leather loafers – no zips, ribbons, bows, buttons or any sort of embellishment. Just plain black, leather, slip on shoes.
- Sheer black top – I don’t want that mesh/fishnet material but I want something that is dark enough to not be obviously sheer but still get hints of what is on underneath.
You’ll notice a bit of a trend here and that is that everything I want is black. This is for a couple of reasons – 1. It’s easier to mix and match clothing when they are all the same colour and 2. I don’t wear colour. I’ve never been a fan of colour and always feel more comfortable in dark, neutral tones.
It’s been surprisingly difficult to find these items. I want to buy good quality investment pieces but I don’t necessarily want to spend a fortune on them. Ideally I’d like them to be made in Australia using Australian fabrics and accredited by Ethical Clothing Australia.
The good thing is that I don’t immediately need these items so I have time to shop around and wait for sales. It’s been fun researching because I’ve also come across a number of designers that I’ve never encountered before and whilst I can’t afford most of their pieces it’s good to know that they are there if I ever need them. Being this specific has also made me question whether I really need an item if I find something similar but not exactly what I want and truth be told, most of the time I don’t.
I’ve also started being really realistic about my clothing style. It’s best described as simple. I don’t have a work uniform but I’ve given myself one. In winter – black Cotton On jeans, black Rollie shoes, black Cotton On long sleeve top, black Cotton On singlet underneath and either a black Seed jumper or a black Cue jumper. In summer the only thing that changes is that the black long sleeve top becomes a short sleeve top and I may wear a black Asos skirt instead of the jeans with a pair of black Wittner heels. Because my work wardrobe is so basic it means that my weekend wardrobe has become that way now. I’ve realised that I don’t need all the different coloured tops I’ve kept just in case because realistically I’m not going to wear it.
But there is one part of my wardrobe that I can’t seem to let go of and that is my shoes. I have pairs of beautiful heels that I just don’t wear that I can’t bear to let go of. I know I should but I have such an attachment to them that I don’t want to let them go. So I’ve decided that’s ok – provided I let go of other pieces that I’m holding on to for no reason other than it cost a lot of money at the time.
What’s your wardrobe item you can’t bear to let go even though you never wear it?